[Freetype] Re: Suggested patch: bitmap fonts, foundry, family and fontco

From: Keith Packard
Subject: [Freetype] Re: Suggested patch: bitmap fonts, foundry, family and fontconfig/Xft2
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 15:15:30 -0700

Around 23 o'clock on Apr 8, Mike FABIAN wrote:

> But apparently the bdf-property "FOUNDRY" is completely ignored by
> both freetype and fontconfig, only the bdf-property "FAMILY_NAME" is
> used.

Fontconfig provides a 'foundry' value, but as you have noticed it isn't
used as FreeType doesn't provide easy access to the underlying font values.

Would it be sufficient to place the foundry in this fontconfig property?
Or do you really think it better to glue the foundry and the family
together?  It seems that many font names would not work if the foundry was
always attached to the family (adobe times roman).

> Even if FOUNDRY is prepended to the family name, it still isn't
> possible to distinguish between "normal" fonts and fonts which
> contain *only* double width characters. For example:

fontconfig now includes the 'width' value from the fonts.  Could we find a
way to push that value through FreeType from .pcf fonts?

-keith