[Freetype] info about how outlines stored in truetype font files

From: ~
Subject: [Freetype] info about how outlines stored in truetype font files
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 16:43:57 +1000

hi, this isn't strictly a freetype question so i hope you'll excuse me if it
seems not relevant...
but.....

I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me as to how exactly the outlines
that make up
a glyph contour are stored ?

This is what I've understood so far...
Outlines can contain lines and curve.
If you are dealing with lines, you get n number of points that describe the
outline, ie
(x1,y1)   (x2,y2)..... & you join the dots to form the outline....(or is there
more to it..)

If you are dealing with curves, you get  3 points, (x1,y1) (x2,y2) (x3,y3)
which is used to
describe a quadratic bezier curve.

My problem is
a) some of the curves only have 2 points, not 3 as I expect...(2 points
wouldn't describe a
quadratic bezier curve, so what gives ?)

b) Take the outline of the letter c as an examplle. It is built of many curves,
and I would
    expect that  the end  point of one curve is co-incident with the start
point of the next curve -
    but I'm not seeing this result....

    what am I missing here ? Have I totally misunderstood the way that outline
info is stored in
    a truetype file ?

   tia for any help and yr time :-)

blackpaw monki