[Freetype] News from the field

From: David Turner
Subject: [Freetype] News from the field
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 11:51:29 +0100

Hello everyone,

  I'd like to announce you that I'm now the happy father of a little
  girl named Lucie, who was born on February 26th 2003 !

  However, she's still at the hospital since she slightly suffers
  from a rare condition known as Pierre Robin Sequence. Her life is
  not in danger since her syndrome seems to be very light compared
  to similar children, but she'll stay there for a while for safety.

  As you can guess, this also means that I won't be very active on the
  FreeType front for several weeks, or even months, to come.

  I'll try my best to find some time in the coming days to finalize
  2.1.4 by getting its last important bugs out, which are in my
  opinion:

     - incorrect cache sub-system behaviour in case of out-of-memory
       conditions when allocating new nodes

     - still these crazy TrueType native rendering glitches. ah ah !!

     - probably a few other annoying things that were lastly revealed
       on the mailing lists, or which  I discovered recently.

  All other improvements, as interesting as they seem will be post-poned
  to 2.1.5, including Graham's patch, David Chester's patch, support for
  sbit-only TrueType/OpenType fonts, and a few other things... Can't give
  any date for this later release though.

  It may be worthwile to start looking for a new "interim" guru for
  FreeType, since my commitment to the project will directly depend on
  the progress of my little angel's medical condition. I'm ready to pass
  the baton, be it temporarily or permanently, to the appropriate people,
  wathever subjective that may sound.

  (and note that, very unfortunately, I'm not in power to offer any Jet
   plane to the new "interim" leader :-)

  Finally, I'll appreciate if you do not answer to this e-mail just to
  cheer me or something like that. *I* *REALLY* *MEAN* *IT*, *WALDO* !

  For your information, Lucie's condition is far from being as serious as
  the ones you'll find on various testimonies on the Internet, so don't panic.
  It's just that she's going to need extra care from here parents in the
  next two years. After that, she'll hopefully be a perfectly normal baby.

  And guess what, I'm so happy to be "dad" ;-)

Best Regards,

- David Turner