Re: [Freetype] To Hint or Not To Hint

From: Vadim Plessky
Subject: Re: [Freetype] To Hint or Not To Hint
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 17:31:05 +0300

On Tuesday 18 February 2003 14:50, ismail (cartman) donmez wrote:
|  Hi all!
|
|  I am using freetype from cvs. It seems great with David Chester's patches
| so kudos to all freetype developers, but when I enable hinting fonts seem
| really distorted. Two screenshot to show the issue :
|
|  www.submoron.org/~cartman/alias.png shows when only anti-aliasing is on
|  www.submoron.org/~cartman/hinting.png shows when anti-aliasing + hinting
| is on.

First of all, fonts are enermously big on both screenshots.
What dpi do you have on your system?
You can check this by running command like this:
$ xdpyinfo | grep resolution

BTW: are you sure that anti-aliasing is enabled on secong screenshot
(hinting.png)
It looks like that just hinting is applied.

|  As you can see when hinting is on fonts look real bad.

While rendering on your screenshot is not perfect, I can't call it 'bad'
What exactly is wrong, in your opinion?

NOTE that Verdana (which I believe is used on that page) is rather specific
typeface.
Some people like it, other people do not like it.
It can be that you can force Arial or Nimbus Sans by default (or just delete
Verdana from the list of available fonts), and web page would be magically
fixed ;-)

| Anyone got any idea
|  what may be the problem ?

What version of Xfree86 do you have?
Are you sure that your X is using custom-build FreeType (and not old one,
compiled as part of XFree86 distribution)?

--

Best Regards,

Vadim Plessky