Re: [Freetype] Free Bitstream fonts

From: Antoine Leca
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Free Bitstream fonts
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 22:19:44 +0100

Bonjour,

Andrew Derrick Balsa wrote:
It seems to me that a font rendering library makes more sense with a set of fonts that demonstrate its capabilities.

Beware, there is a pitfall just behind this corner!
If you distribute a "example" (which would be the font in this case) along
with some library, sooner or later you would end with the syndrom:

   "the library is ok" <=> "our (enclosed) fonts work with it"

And I think this would be a big mistake (we will dedicate too much resources
to correct these fonts' problems; there is a risk that fonts that compete
with these will be dropped from our scope --don't laugh, I have already
seen this more than once; etc.)

> Also, since both GNOME and KDE use
Freetype, it seemed a good idea to include the fonts with freetype, perhaps not in the library package itself, but to me it makes a lot of sense to include it in the demos package.

Well, first I understand GNOME and KDE use Freetype rather indirectly (I may
easily be wrong, as my 56K line does not allow me to follow correctly the
development of these monstruous packages).

Furthermore, it appears to me that if Bitstream got an agreement with GNOME,
then GNOME will distribute the BT fonts, so this is not a real gain here...
(OTOH, it may be a real gain for KDE, if they do _not_ have the similar
agreement with BT ;-) ).

Regards,
Antoine