Re: [Freetype] bdf-to-otf [Re: Help with font improvement]

From: Juliusz Chroboczek
Subject: Re: [Freetype] bdf-to-otf [Re: Help with font improvement]
Date: 02 Jan 2003 11:09:17 +0100

Happy new year, Vadim!

VP> I just had impression that your bdf-to-otf program was very close to be
VP> completed, and expected it to appear in 4.3.0.

The difficult stuff is done; what remains is a lot of tedious checking
of details, and then testing, testing, testing.

I expect to include the conversion program into the XFree86 tree
pretty soon after 4.3 is out, but it will take some time before we can
use it as the default way to build bitmap fonts.

  http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~jch/software/files/

VP> worth to create project at SourceForge

VP> BTW:  Do you have some updated results for BDF-to-OTF font conversion?

The code for generation of tables hasn't changed -- I've proved it
optimal ;-) The font files have become a hundred bytes or so larger
(the font-level data is now more complete).

VP> Can you pls also elaborate what are *not fixed* issues with
VP> current code (and whaty prevents you from using it on XFree86's
VP> BDF fonts right now)?

  - fonttootf not generating all font level metrics correctly;
  - fonttootf requiring Unicode-encoded fonts;
  - freetype backend not dealing cleanly with overspecified bitmap fonts;
  - testing;
  - testing;
  - testing.

                                        Juliusz