Re: [Freetype] XFree86 4.2.x compilation + FreeType2 on RH

From: Vadim Plessky
Subject: Re: [Freetype] XFree86 4.2.x compilation + FreeType2 on RH
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 21:24:26 +0300

Hi Andre,

On Monday 30 December 2002 18:28, Andre Costa wrote:
|  Hi Vadim,
|
|  thks for replying. My comments below.
|
|  On Sun, 29 Dec 2002 15:42:00 +0300
|
|  Vadim Plessky <address@hidden> wrote:
|  > Do you compile XFree86 with Xft2 support (Xft2 was released together
|  > with FontConfig 2.x) and FontConfig?
|
|  Uh... really can't say =T Both packages are installed here, although I
|  am using different (older) versions than you are:
|
|  ~ rpm -qa | grep fontconfig
|  fontconfig-2.0-3
|  fontconfig-devel-2.0-3
|
|  ~ rpm -qa | grep Xft
|  Xft-devel-2.0.0-0.ximian.1
|  Xft-2.0.0-0.ximian.1

It is FontConfig-2.0
I believe it's fresh enough, and you should get AA both in GTK and QT apps
(GNOME and KDE apps).

|  ~ rpm -qa | grep freetype
|  freetype-devel-2.1.2-7
|  freetype-utils-2.1.2-7
|  freetype-2.1.2-7
|
|  I am using SRPMs from RH, but not from RawHide branch (they're 8.0
|  SRPMs, I believe).

RH8 has XFree86-4.2.1, IIRC

|  > Are you sure that XFree86 build uses shared FreeType library (and not
|  > its own copy)?
|
|  No (I am not sure)... I will try to figure it out from the spec files.

Relevant part from Xfree86.spec, from RawHide SRPM:

# Build fontconfig and package it instead of using external fontconfig
%define with_fontconfig         0
# Build using XFree86 supplied Freetype 2
%define with_freetype2          0

(lines 94-97)

[...]
|  >
|  > And I have built XFree86-4.2.99 (4.3.0 branch snapshot) from Rawhide
|  > SRPM on top of this:
|  [...]
|
|  > Most interesting: all this works!.. :-)
|
|  Cool! =) I hope this works for me, too. I tried to find SRPMs for
|  version 4.2.99 on rawhide.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/rawhide/SRPMS ,
|  but they weren't there. Could you please point me to the right place?

Here are URLs I used:

ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/rawhide/1.0/SRPMS/SRPMS/

ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/rawhide/1.0/SRPMS/SRPMS/XFree86-4.2.99.2-0.20021122.2.src.rpm

I think it's already updated to newest snapshot, so you just need to open that
folder and pick up XFree86*.
NOTE that RpmFind.net can be very slow, depending on the day (don't know why)

|  > But I have to modify XFree86.spec file slightly.
|
|  Mmmh... what kind of modification? I am about to dive into 4.2.1 spec
|  file to understand what could be going wrong, maybe you could spare me
|  of this boring task ;) (please feel free to send me the original spec
|  file and diff output between that and your own version if you think it
|  will be easier)

ok, I will send you off-list

|  > Try Rawhide SRPM. You will get latest XFree86, with enhanced RENDER
|  > extension (ver 0.8) and X servers supporting anti-aliased trapezoids
|  >
|  > :-)
|
|  Sounds very good, I am looking forward to trying them. So, where can I
|  find them? As I said, rawhide.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/rawhide/SRPMS
|  was a no-go... =(

ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/rawhide/1.0/SRPMS/SRPMS/

Or search at http://rpmfind.net for binary RPM (latest version of XFree86),
open "package description" page and click on SRPM (Source) link.

--

Vadim Plessky
SVG Icons * BlueSphere Icons 0.3.0 released