Re: [Freetype] Freetype 2.1.3 Mac bugs - proper dfont handling

From: Paul Miller
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Freetype 2.1.3 Mac bugs - proper dfont handling
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 12:21:59 -0600

Actually, they are! A .dfont is the equivalent of a Mac OS 9 "Font Suitcase", but with the resource fork as a data fork instead...

Yet the code in FT_New_Face_From_dfont treats the file as a resource file. For some reason, Get1IndResource() with a res_index of 0 gets the first face. But if res_index is not 0, it returns NULL.

        This code worked fine previously.

I've been digging into this a bit more, and see that OS9 Suitecse support is also broken for the same reason. If face_index is 0 it works - if not it doesn't.

The problem is where it tries to get the FOND resource. I checked the Suitcase file for "Times New Roman" and see there is ONE FOND resource, and FOUR sfnt resources.

Should the code really be looking for multiple FOND resources? It seems to me that it should get the first FOND resource, and somehow match that up with the proper sfnt. But this part of the code is the same as that in the 2.0.8, so it seems to have always worked this way. But I can't figure out WHY it might have previously worked.