Re: [Freetype] Font Fusion vs. Freetype?

From: Sven Neumann
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Font Fusion vs. Freetype?
Date: 27 Nov 2002 12:59:22 +0100

Hi,

"Pedriana, Paul" <address@hidden> writes:

> FontFusion looks good to game companies because they claim to run with a
> very small footprint, especially with asian fonts. This is important to
> game companies making console (e.g. PlayStation) games.

the difference in memory footprint is not that large. I think that you
can trim FreeType2 to a comparable size by disabling all the features
and backends you don't need.

> Additionally, one issue I've had with Freetype is that the API keeps
> changing. Practically every revision I've updated to has broken my code.
> I don't have time to futz with this and it brings an element of
> uncertainty to the development process. This may work fine for open
> source projects like Mozilla but is not a good thing for large scale
> commercial software development.

I don't think the FreeType API changes that much. I didn't have to
adjust any freetype-based software I wrote during the last years. At
least the FreeType API is well documented and the headers are
readable. This is not the case for FontFusion. At least I had a hard
time to figure out how it is supposed to be used.

Salut, Sven