Re: [Freetype] Font Fusion vs. Freetype?

From: Vadim Plessky
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Font Fusion vs. Freetype?
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 13:05:19 +0300

On Tuesday 26 November 2002 11:39 pm, Pedriana, Paul wrote:
|  People comparing these libraries for consideration of use are concerned
|  with things other than just rendering quality. Features, cost support,
|  footprint, runtime stability, and API stability are all important
|  considerations. In fact, in the end I'd guess that rendering quality is
|  going to be the least of many users' considerations, given that all
|  these libraries have good quality output.
|
|  FontFusion looks good to game companies because they claim to run with a
|  very small footprint, especially with asian fonts. This is important to
|  game companies making console (e.g. PlayStation) games.
|
|  Additionally, one issue I've had with Freetype is that the API keeps
|  changing. Practically every revision I've updated to has broken my code.

Sorry, I can't agree with you here.
FreeType APi is pretty stable, and compatible with previous versions.

I successfully upgraded rom FT 2.0.6 to 2.0.9 to 2.1.3-rc2 to 2.1.3 final, and
my XFree86 4.2.0 was unchanged.
And everything works fine - from IceWm to GTK/GNOME2 to KDE 3.1

May be, you just used some low-level features, which are hiddent to people in
most cases?

|  I don't have time to futz with this and it brings an element of
|  uncertainty to the development process. This may work fine for open
|  source projects like Mozilla but is not a good thing for large scale
|  commercial software development.

Soi far, FreeType is working quite well for a lot of apps - from
XFree86/GNOME/KDE to multiple BeOS clones to AtheOS to XXXX.
I still have to learn about some project where FreeType is not used or hard to
use .

|  Paul

|  |