Re: [Freetype] Outline vertices

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Outline vertices
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 16:57:17 +0100

Hi Braden,

Braden McDaniel wrote:
On Wed, 2002-11-20 at 12:29, David Turner wrote:

Braden McDaniel wrote:

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002 14:11:45 +0100, David Turner wrote:

Have you tried loading the outlines at different scales, or simply
with no scaling/hinting with FT_LOAD_NO_SCALE ?

If I use FT_LOAD_NO_SCALE, do I lose any guarantee that the outlines will
be at a consistent scale between glyphs? And between faces?

With FT_LOAD_NO_SCALE, you'll get the outlines expressed in "EM units", so
they'll be consistent between glyphs of the same faces.

However, they will not between distinct faces since this is a font designer
choice.

That's what I suspected. But it looks like I can use
FT_FaceRec::units_per_EM to scale things to the range 0..1, which is all
I'm after.

That should work. Keep in mind that font designers can create glyphs that
extend outside of the EM square. You should use the global bounding box
instead if you're looking for the ability to constrain all coordinates
to a range like [0..1]

Hope this helps,

- David Turner