[Freetype] Re: [Fonts]A problem on using fonttootf problem

From: Juliusz Chroboczek
Subject: [Freetype] Re: [Fonts]A problem on using fonttootf problem
Date: 10 Oct 2002 08:54:55 +0100

JL>     I have recently trying to use the fonttootf to convert a bdf
JL>     font into otf.

Please note that fonttotf is in an early alpha stage; it is not meant
to be useful right now.  I suggest that you should use pfaedit rather
than fonttootf for the time being.

JL>     First, the bdf font is encoding in Big5 (to be exact the
JL>     encoding should be Big5-HKSCS).

The current version of fonttootf requires Unicode-encoded fonts.
Being able to use fonts in legacy encodings is a planned feature for
future versions.

JL>     I use gdb to take a look and found that, the cause is the
JL> absent of a 'FAMILY_NAME' so freetype just set the
JL> face->family_name to 0 and the when " full_name =
JL> malloc(strlen(face->family_name) + 1); " occurs inside read.c:81
JL> of the fontofotf, it bombs.

Noted, thanks for the report.

                                        Juliusz