Re: [Freetype] A problem on using fonttootf problem

From: Anthony Fok
Subject: Re: [Freetype] A problem on using fonttootf problem
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 11:34:55 +0800

Hello Jacky,

Cool!  Apparently, we are on the same wavelength.  :-)  I have been
wanting to something similar too, and has been doing some
experimentation on and off, sometimes at work, sometimes at home.
I was playing with fonttools and the Arphic PL TrueType fonts.

BTW, by 12pt, do you mean the 16x15 bitmap taipei font, or some other
fonts (like the 12pt or 14pt Japanese bitmap fonts)?  By the way, I am
sure you know about the "unifont" 16x16 bitmap font too.  It is
probably one of the Unicode bitmap font with rather comprehensive
coverage.  But of course, quality-wise, it needs more work to unify the
glyph styles.

After reading your message, I checked the mailing list archives
and found some previous discussions.  Wow, converting to OTF bitmap
font looks really a lot more space efficient indeed!  That's the way to
go indeed.

I suppose we need to provide at a Format 4 CMap (Unicode->glyph)
and optionally a Format 2 CMap (Big5->glyph) in the OTF.  I haven't
looked at fonttootf yet; it may have to handle such code conversion.

fonttools also look promising because it can assemble an OTF file using
human-readable XML (TTX) format, so that it is easy to write some Perl
or Python script to do the BDF->TTX conversion too.

Fun stuff indeed, but a lot of work ahead of us all.  :-)

Cheers,

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling