Re: [Freetype] fractional point sizes

From: Anthony Feick
Subject: Re: [Freetype] fractional point sizes
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 15:45:48 -0500

Well this bit in the function FT_Set_Char_Size answers my question:

/* Compute pixel sizes in 26.6 units */
dim_x = ( ( ( char_width  * horz_resolution ) / 72 ) + 32 ) & -64;
dim_y = ( ( ( char_height * vert_resolution ) / 72 ) + 32 ) & -64;

So it looks like the point size _is_ rounded, although a post from Werner from a while ago indicates otherwise:

"The third parameter of FT_Set_Char_Size() must be given in 26.6 format
(making it possible to have fractional point sizes) " ...
http://www.freetype.org/pipermail/devel/2000-October/001150.html

Granted, this post is 2 years old, but fractional point sizes seems too useful to give up.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a workaround? Could FT_Set_Transform be used to scale the glyphs slightly?

-Tony