[Freetype] what is the best format for fonts storage/distribution?

From: Vadim Plessky
Subject: [Freetype] what is the best format for fonts storage/distribution?
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 14:06:56 +0400

Hello PfaEdit developers & FreeType users,

I'd like to ask you a question:
 * what is the best format for fonts storage/distribution? *

NOTE that I am speaking here about *storage and/or distribution*, not about
*rendering quality* (thoughs those topics are related, I'd like to discuss
just subj. for now)

I have impression that about 1year-1.5 years ago Monotype (strong Microsoft
ally) was offering at Monotype.com Monotype fonts in TrueType format.
(I think I have even saved copies of thier web pages somewhere on my disk)
Now http://www.monotype.com/ redirects you to http://fonts.com/
(in facts, both sites are look like the same - Fonts.com powered by AGFA
Monotype)
At he same time, new font Bonita featured at fonts.com frontpage points to
which offers to buy fonts only in Macintosh PostScript and Windows PostScript
formats.

Helvetica is availible in Mac PS, Windows PS and TrueType/Windows formats,
though. Check:
http://www.fonts.com/findfonts/detail.asp?pid=201471
http://www.fonts.com/findfonts/identifontframe.asp?sid=B66XK7G1H18N9K7C623PL8CUP78KF9AF&fnt=helvetica
http://www.fonts.com/findfonts/detail.asp?sid=B66XK7G1H18N9K7C623PL8CUP78KF9AF&pid=242559

***
Linotype
Both http://www.fonts.de and http://www.LinotypeLibrary.com (which can be
found in some Linotype TTF fonts, Designer URL) now redirect browser to
http://www.fontexplorer.com/FontStore/

And fonts are available in Macintosh PostScript and Windows
PostScript+TrueType formats.

So, I have extra questions:
a) why there are no fonts in OpenType formats?
 There are TrueType fonts, but AFAIK OpenType is the latest release of TT
technology, so I see no reason to release new fonts in TrueType format.

b) why Monotype decided to offer new fonts in PostScript format only?
Is it recognition of the fact that PostScript is better for storage
 & distribution, or something else?...

I'd like to understand reasoning for those decisions, your help / advise is
highly appreciated!

I found that OpenType fonts generated by PfaEdit are rendered quite well by
FreeType (tested Linux+XFree86+KDE, AA enabled), though not so good as
generated PFB (PS Type1) fonts (P.S.: hinting is done in PostScript model,
hand-tuned after auto-hinting).
But as nowone (from major commercial font vendors) ships OpenType fonts - I
have impressins that there is something wrong with OpenType.
Or I miss something here?

Thanks you very much in advance for your help!
--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)