[Freetype] metafont fonts for screen display

From: John M. Gabriele
Subject: [Freetype] metafont fonts for screen display
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 13:25:21 EST

I noticed that FreeType doesn't have any built-in support
for metafont fonts. I'm curious as to why this is. Would
metafont fonts be suitable for display on a monitor? (Or
are they only meant for very high-resolution display/print-
out?)

I realize that there's a set of postscript type 1 versions
of computer modern available. Are they regarded as being
"as good as" the original metafont version(s)?

Would it be exceptionally difficult to create a metafont
plug-in for freetype? Could anyone comment on how worth-
while such an endeavor might be?

Thanks,
---John