[Freetype] freetype newbie

From: graham
Subject: [Freetype] freetype newbie
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 23:11:39 -0400

Hi!  I'm another FreeType newbie.  I've looked at the tutorials
(which seem to be written for an older version of FT.. they don't
compile!) and I've managed to write a small program that draws one
character to a bitmap.  I use my own code to save the bitmap to a
file.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure I'm doing it wrong.  I'm using monochrome
rendering (no AA, 1 bit / pixel).  It only works when my buffer and
device size is square, and my font height = font width.  If I try to
use a non-square buffer, or if I try to use font height != font
width, I only get part of the character rendered, like it's being
clipped wrong or something.

So, the million-dollar question:  Is there a download somewhere for a
relatively short .c file containing a main() function that renders a
simple piece of text to a monochrome bitmap, and nothing more?  I
mean a file I can just download and compile, without fiddling.  I'm
surprised I haven't been able to find one.  It took hours just for me
to figure out how to do it incorrectly :)  Please, somebody, hook me
up with such a main().  I would be super-greatful.

- Graham Fyffe