[Freetype] TTF fonts, charmaps, and Windows

From: saarbruck at the wheel
Subject: [Freetype] TTF fonts, charmaps, and Windows
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 11:57:43 -0700

Hi,

When I take a standard MS Windows font such as "Tahoma" and ennumerate the charmaps, I get only two:

ft_encoding_apple_roman
ft_encoding_unicode

but if I open the font using Microsoft's charmap.exe utility, I get many alternate mappings:

Unicode
DOS: Baltic
DOS: Central Europe
{ ...more DOS mappings... }
Windows: Arabic
Windows: Baltic
{ ...more Windows mappings... }
Windows: Western

My problem is that I need to access (MS) extended ASCII glyphs such as left and right quotation marks and left and right apostrophe, but these don't seem to be availible through Freetype by using FT_Select_Charmap, FT_Get_Char_Index and FT_Load_Char.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to access these Windows mappings? Are they part of the OS, or are they part of the TTF file?

(I am using freetype 2 and a variety of Windows platforms)