Re: [Freetype] TrueType font-scaling

From: Chris Carlen
Subject: Re: [Freetype] TrueType font-scaling
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 19:12:37 -0700

Ole André Vadla Ravnås wrote:
Hi,

I'm running XFree86 4.2.0 and freetype 2.1.2 (compiled with hinting and
the TrueType bytecode interpreter both enabled), using Ximian GNOME 1.4.
I've copied some TrueType-fonts from an MS Windows XP installation, and
they look fine -- well, almost. Please have a look at the pictures on
this page:
http://web.sysrq.no/zole

What these two pictures show is some arbitrary TrueType-font that I
copied from the MS Windows XP installation -- displayed in size 8 and 9,
respectively. Size 8 looks horrible, 9 and up looks fine.

So, I wonder, is this a bug in freetype?

I've noticed things can be a little strange with Lucida and B&H Lucidux/Luxi fonts.

Try using 2.0.9 of freetype. I have gotten the best results with it, in general.

Christopher R. Carlen
address@hidden
Suse 7.3 Linux 2.4.10