Re: [Freetype] Autohinting?

From: Chris Carlen
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Autohinting?
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 18:44:02 -0700

Werner LEMBERG wrote:
It depends.  Usually, if you use anti-aliasing, the auto hinter should
already produce fairly good results in most cases.  Nevertheless,
there exists fonts, most notable CJK fonts like mingli, which use
bytecodes intensively to position subglyphs.  Such fonts will never
work with the bytecode interpreter disabled.

You should get the current snapshot of FreeType2 which contains
significant improvements of the auto hinter.

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried 2.1.2. I get the best results for now using 2.0.9. 2.1.2 may be a little better for the truetype without bytecode interpreter, but for Type1 fonts, the 2.0.9 is really great!

I don't want to use antialiasing because I use LCD monitors, and even with good resolution of 1280x1024. But I think antialiasing looks blurry or fuzzy. I just don't like it for normal editing size fonts on the LCD.

So that means it is very critical to get the hinting done right, then the fonts look nice even without antialiasing.

Good day!

Christopher R. Carlen
address@hidden
Suse 7.3 Linux 2.4.10