Re: [Freetype] Freeware version of "Arial Unicode" or similar?

From: Antoine Leca
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Freeware version of "Arial Unicode" or similar?
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 18:38:19 +0200

Paul Pedriana wrote:

> I am looking for a freeware font that has support for a large number of
> characters in the Unicode space. In particular, I am looking for a
> single font that has at least the following character sets: Western
> European, Eastern European, Russian, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and Thai.

Bitstream happened to release more or less for free a font, named CyberBit,
that _may_ fit your needs.
Note that I believe Bitstream discontinued the effort, so you probably will
have to seek in used material sites (read, through a Google search) rather
than directly at Bitstream.com.

Also, there is a project from James Kass
<URL:http://home.att.net/~jameskass>
which _may_ be interesting too. I believe it is shareware (I do not use
it).

> Are there any freeware font projects for stuff like this underway?

Well, there is also the Omega project (Unicode-based TeX).
IIRC, <URL:http://www.omega.org>. Still very early in development, though.

Regards,

Antoine