Re: [Freetype] GSUB support in FreeType 2

From: Owen Taylor
Subject: Re: [Freetype] GSUB support in FreeType 2
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 19:00:38 -0400 (EDT)

Jan Slupski <address@hidden> writes:

> It's not clear for me...
>
> Are GSUB (Glyph Substitution) tables supported in FreeType 2.x?
>
> One page (http://www.freetype.org/opentype/#gsub)
> says it is supported, but other
> (http://www.freetype.org/freetype2/docs/ft2faq.html#general-donts)
> says it isn't (as far as I unerstand).
>
> Could anyone tell me if it is?
> If not - if it is planned, or if there is any other tool, that can
> cooperate with FT2 and make use of GSUB tables?

The confusion is because GSUB support was present in FreeType-1.x
but was considered out-of-scope for Freetype 2. The plan is
to have a separate library to handle it, but as far as I know
work hasn't begun on that.

The OpenType parsing code from FreeType 1 has been ported to FreeType
2 and is used with in the Pango library (http://www.pango.org) to
support Arabic and Indic scripts.

Regards,
                                        Owen