Re: [Freetype] The kind of anti-aliased colored fontsI'm talking about

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Freetype] The kind of anti-aliased colored fontsI'm talking about...
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 00:21:13 +0200

Hi Detlef,

Detlef Würkner a écrit :

> address@hidden (David Turner) wrote:
>
> >   - Generally speaking, you're looking for a very custom solution,
> >     since I don't think that standard font files are capable of
> >     dealing with ARGB bitmaps anyway. Writing a custom font driver
> >     seems inevitable unless you want to drop FreeType.
>
> There exists the Amiga ColorFont format which contains a bitmap font with
> 2 to 8 bitplanes and a palette of corresponding RGB colors (including the
> transparent background color and optionally the main color to be replaced
> with the actual text color). But thats not a "standard font file" in your
> opinion IMHO :-)

Yes, but Paul wants something that also contains an additional transparency
component on each pixel (he needs ARGB, not RGB). To my knowledge, no common
font format supports that very well, so I'm certain that he'll need to write
a custom font driver for it.

Note that this is necessarily a difficult thing. I've implemented several
custom bitmap font driver in about 500-1000 bytes each (since the file
storage scheme was really simple).

Regards,

- David Turner