[Freetype] corrupted font: loadable with 2.0.5 but not with 2.1.0?

From: Jeff Chow
Subject: [Freetype] corrupted font: loadable with 2.0.5 but not with 2.1.0?
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 23:00:08 -0700

Hi Gang,

I have a .ttf that loads fine with the ft_encoding_unicode encoding in 2.0
but 2.1.0 cannot load that encoding because
it thinks that the character map is corrupt. The particular section of code
that the validate fails is in ttcmap0.c, around line 681:

          /* check that we point within the glyph ids table only */
          if ( p < glyph_ids                                ||
               p + ( end - start + 1 ) * 2 > table + length )
            FT_INVALID_DATA;

To give you guys some idea how of off everything is:
table:          0x0972c858
length:         850
table+length:   0x0972cbaa
p:              0x0973c9ad, which is WAY beyond table + length.

I used fonttools to dump out a listing of the cmap but it didn't fail or
list any problems, so I'm still not sure if it's a problem with the font. Is
there another tool that could tell me if the charmap is bad? I could also
sent you guys a copy of our font if you think it'll help. I checked the
mailing list and there didn't seem to be any mention of this problem.

Any help appreciated,
Jeff