Re: [Freetype] Best approach to get anti-aliased font bitmaps?

From: Vadim Plessky
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Best approach to get anti-aliased font bitmaps?
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 13:30:25 +0400

On Wednesday 15 May 2002 09:01, Brian Stell wrote:
|  "Pedriana, Paul" wrote:
|  > ...
|  > Yes, but hand-tuned anti-aliased bitmaps are going to be better
|  > looking and faster than manually anti-aliased monochrome bitmaps.
|  > I want to use hand-tuned anti-aliased bitmaps. So I ask again,
|  > is such a thing possible with FreeType?
|
|  I suppose they would look great but I have never heard *any*
|  discussions on "hand tuned anti-aliased bitmaps".

Indeed, would be interesting to see such bitmaps ;-)

|  To my knowledge no one has ever created them. They just do not
|  exist.
|
|  What little I have heard on the subject of "much better fonts"
|  is that in the future we will have higher resolution displays
|  (~200DPI) and then anti-aliasing will not be an issue.

Correction: hinting is not needed for devices with resolution of 600dpi and
above. On 300dpi devices (think of *old* laser printers), hinting is
absolutely necessary

As about anti-aliasing:
>From my understanding of it, AA is some artificial way of *increasing*
rendering resolution on the same device (without upgrading/enhancing that
device). Technology is of course different but expected result is just it
(better looking glyphs)
So, I doubt that you can omit AA on 200dpi displays/devices.
I would say, even on 300dpi you will need anti-aliasing for 8pt-9pt text.

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)