Re: [Freetype] kerning questions/problem

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Freetype] kerning questions/problem
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 10:55:14 +0200 (CEST)

> I'm trying to understand why a string rasterized with truetype has
> kerning that's different from a string that's drawn in a Windows app
> like Word or Notepad. My first question has to do with the actual
> kerning distances and the fact that I'm seeing *positive* kerning
> distances in my font. If the whole purpose of kerning pairs is to
> decrease the spacing between characters to make them fit better, why
> would a font have a positive value?

There are fonts with (some) positive kerning values.  I suggest you
try fonttools (from fonttools.sf.net) to disassemble the font, then
comparing the kerning values with the ones returned by FreeType.  In
case the font has a `kern' table and no `GPOS', the values should be
identical.  Otherwise, kerning could be done in this OpenType table;
this is not supported yet in FT2.

Please report your findings.