Re: [Freetype] FT and Apple patent

From: Vadim Plessky
Subject: Re: [Freetype] FT and Apple patent
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 16:41:04 +0400

On Sunday 05 May 2002 18:47, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
|  > How crucial, as far as you know, for LCD with resolution of 72 X 72
|  > Dpi?
|
|  If you can use anti-alias, you can live without hinting, I think.
|  Exception are special CJK fonts which use the hinting mechanism to
|  scale subglyphs.
|
|      Werner

Werner,

I can't agree with you here.
For low-resolution devices (<300dpi), you need to use both anti-aliasing and
hinting.
Current displays have just 100dpi-150dpi, so it's far away from optimal
reolution...
Of course it depends on alphabet. It seems English (Latin) less vulnerable to
hinting problems, as it doesn't have glyphs requiring HStem3 or VStem3 hints,
like Cyrillic ш щ Ш Щ ф Ф
BTW: Does FreeType 2.0.9 or newer supports HStem3/VStem PS hints properly?
I have impression that those hints are somewhat ignored, or not taken into
consideration.
If necessary, I can supply test fonts to demonstrate problem.

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)