Re: [Fonts]Re: [Freetype] face->max_advance_width and the FreeType backe

From: Keith Packard
Subject: Re: [Fonts]Re: [Freetype] face->max_advance_width and the FreeType backend for XFree86
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 10:44:45 -0700

Around 17 o'clock on Apr 18, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:

> So that brings us back to my question: anybody have an idea about a
> heuristic to provide a reasonable approximation of a font's average
> width?

How about just using the width of '0' or some other glyph that likely
exists in every font?  This would have the advantage of not changing based
on the set of available glyphs in the font (or the encoding selected).
Plus, using digit width means that columns of numbers would get layed out
correctly.

Keith Packard        XFree86 Core Team        Compaq Cambridge Research Lab