Re: [Freetype] Font type and Type 1 tables

From: Juliusz Chroboczek
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Font type and Type 1 tables
Date: 17 Apr 2002 18:44:51 +0100

David Turner <address@hidden>:

>> #define FACE_TYPE(FACE) ((FACE)->driver->clazz->root.module_name)
>> #define T1INFO(FACE) \
>> (strcasecmp(FACE_TYPE(FACE), "type1") == 0 ?\
>> (&((T1_FaceRec*)FACE)->type1.font_info) : \
>> NULL)

DT> Simply put it, an application should never try to access the font
DT> engine's internal structures (since these are bound to change
DT> between releases).

Off the top of my head, there's three nasty things I need to do:

  (i) to determine whether a font uses glyph names or Unicode indices
      as its native encoding format (only Type 1 fonts fall into the
      former category currently);
  (ii) to determine whether a font contains (obsolete) locale-specific
       TrueType cmaps;
  (iii) access to the FontInfo dictionary in a Type 1 font.

(i) is important because a number of Type 1 fonts contain a glyph
repertoire that does not map cleanly to Unicode (e.g. Symbol), and I'm
not willing to use Adobe's private zone mappings.  (Conversely,
TrueType fonts often contain incorrect names in their post table, and
I wish not to use the names in TrueType fonts.)

(ii) is already provided in the public API.

I am very suprised that there should be no public API for (iii),
because ``t1tables.h'' which defines the structure of the C mapping to
the FontInfo dictionary is a public header file.

Thanks a lot,

                                        Juliusz