Re: [Freetype] using Bitstream Stroke-Based Fonts

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Freetype] using Bitstream Stroke-Based Fonts
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 17:16:56 +0200

Hi again,

Nir Rostoker a écrit :

> Hi !
> A company called Bitstream has come with a relatively new font set,
> Stroke-Based Fonts , for Asian fonts, in which the font file is very small
> comparing to other formats.
> Since in Asian fonts the font file is quite big (few mega bytes !) I wonder
> if I can use this font with the FT engine, without the need to parse the
> file by myself.
>
> Does anyone know if FT can work with this font ? Did anyone tried it ?

Theorically, one could write a font module for FT in order to read this
font. Problem is that its format is entirely proprietary, and I highly
doubt that Bitstream is going to provide you with this code (since they
sell their own font engine).

Note also that we're talking about _one_ specific font set in _one_ specific
format. It's not like they invented a revolutionary new font compression
scheme that could work with any Asian font. At least that's what I
understood from their web pages. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If you're really interested in this technology, I suggest you to contact
BitStream directly and ask how much they charge for the whole thing
(i.e. their FontFusion engine + the font itself)

Regards,

- David Turner