[Freetype] loading and rendering time

From: Nir Rostoker
Subject: [Freetype] loading and rendering time
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 13:03:17 +0300

Hi !

I have done some tests to find out how long some actions in FreeType take.
1. Working with the same font I have measured the time of loading and then
rendering a Glyph both when the font was from ROM (using FT_New_Memory_Face)
and both
    when the font was from a file. I haven't noticed time difference, even
though I had expected that using a file would take much longer.
    Is it due to a smart algorithm that read chunks from the file ? does
anyone can explain this ?

2. Moreover, I changed the size of the raster pool (from its default  size
to a size very near to its minimal limit - around 4.5-5KBytes), I haven't
noticed a difference in the
    rendering time, even though I have expected it to be significantly
slower.

The time measurements were conducted by me in various ways (different
timers...) to make sure they are accurate.

Thanks,
Nir