Re: [Freetype] Use of mmap considered harmful

From: Juliusz Chroboczek
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Use of mmap considered harmful
Date: 06 Apr 2002 16:33:07 +0200

>> Failing that, I would like to suggest that the default Linux build
>> of FreeType should not use mmap.

AL> Isn't it an issue for the distro makers rather than for us?

Well, yes, but...  just try getting in touch with all of them.  If you
change the default and put a note in the README (or INSTALL, or BUILD,
or whatever) that gives the rationale, it will have way more effect
than a month of my harrassing of the distributors.

While I haven't done any benchmarks, I do not believe that using mmap
buys you much.  I may be wrong, though, and if so I'm willing to
implement the fallback to stdio myself.

Regards,

                                        Juliusz