Re: [Fonts]Re: [Freetype] FreeType 2 changes required for XFree86

From: Antoine Leca
Subject: Re: [Fonts]Re: [Freetype] FreeType 2 changes required for XFree86
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 15:58:37 +0200

Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:

> BS> Defining common names like ''read'' always leads to problems
> BS> when using multiple packages.
>
> BS> Why doesn't XFree86 follow common C protocol and use uppercase?
>
> The goal being to use common source code both in the X server (when
> using the wrappers) and outside it, it would be rather pointless to
> use ``common C protocol'', wouldn't it?
>
> The symbol name is xf86_read; it is the choice of the module author
> whether to include xf86_libc and use xf86_read directly, or whether to
> include xf86_ansic and have a nice define from read to xf86_read.

Hmmm, just to point out that read is not ANSI C (it is POSIX instead),
and that using read in any ANSI C source always lead to problems,
because (obviously) there is a number of platforms where read() is
defined, even when compiling for strict ANSI C...

I am not sure you (both Brian and Juliusz) will have a similar dispute
about tolower or malloc, would you?

Antoine