[Freetype] How to select a fixed width font by horiz pitch

From: Ian Brown
Subject: [Freetype] How to select a fixed width font by horiz pitch
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 13:23:42 +0100

I'm using freetype in the context of rendering PCL print streams. One
problem that I have is that PCL often selects the size of a fixed pitch font
by specifying the horizontal pitch. With freetype I can only select the font
size by specifying a vertical pitch.

What I need from the font, I think, is something like the aspect ratio of
the Em so that I can convert a horizontal pitch value (CPI) into a vertical
pitch value (LPI) which I can then pass to freetype.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Ian Brown