RE: [Freetype] Comments on quality

From: Michael Jansson
Subject: RE: [Freetype] Comments on quality
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 17:13:04 +0100

Hi,

I doubt that the use of the gasp table is covered by any patents.
Considering that the table is nothing but a bunch of integers. I can't see
how anyone can make such a patent. If you can use 'OS/2' than you can use
'gasp'. I do think it is up to the app using a TT rasterizer to us the table
though, i.e. this is not something that should be used automatically by FT.

There is a need for ensuring that fonts are rendered b/w at small sizes even
on WindowsXP where you have Cleartype, and you do get b/w text in some cases
even there. CJK fonts is a perfect example, where you have b/w embedded
bitmaps. There are also classes of Latin fonts that needs to be b/w at small
sizes (e.g. outline fonts, very light fonts, etc). You can re-hint some of
these fonts. However, this is a very costly and time consuming job, and it
may not be possible in all cases.

Fonts smoothing is nice, but it's not the solution to all hinting problems
(it gets pretty close though).

Regards,
- Michael