Re: [Freetype] Installing with Jam

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Installing with Jam
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 13:49:10 +0100

Hello Ray,

Ray Phillips a écrit :

> Dear Freetype Users:
>
> I'm trying to install FreeType 2.0.5 on a NetBSD/i386 1.5.2 machine,
> and seem to be missing something obvious.  The INSTALL file says the
> preferred method is to use Jam, so I built that from source without
> any problems, then executed
>
> % jam
>
> which produced objs/libfreetype.a.  However, the instructions are
> silent on how to then install this library.  Is it just a matter of
> copying it to /usr/local/lib and setting its owner:group and mode to
> appropriate values?

Actually, the current Jamfiles do not support Unix installation for
now (I've never taken the time to complete them, though it shouldn't
be difficult to do..)..

For now, I advise you to use GNU make.. sorry..

> I also attempted to build a shared library as per the instructions in
> INSTALL (after installing libtool version 1.4.2).  I'll append the
> results of this attempt to this message.  Could you tell me what's
> gone wrong (and in a nutshell, why shared libraries are preferrable
> to static ones), please?

Yep, there is an error in INSTALL. The correct environment variable
definitions are:

  export CC="libtool --mode=compile cc"
  export LINK="libtool --mode=link cc"

This works well to generate shared libraries. However, it doesn't
solve the installation problem for now..

Regards,

- David