[Freetype] Stems not grid-fitted; missing some switch?

From: Christian Campbell
Subject: [Freetype] Stems not grid-fitted; missing some switch?
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 17:06:54 -0500

Please fill me in if I missed a step.

I'm trying to use FreeType to generate text (approximately)
identical to Windows', which the FreeType site says it does. I
built 2.0.5 on Solaris 8 with the
TT_CONFIG_OPTION_BYTECODE_INTERPRETER macro defined, which to the
best of my reading is the only step needed to enable the full
featured rendering. The build obviously successfully enabled the
TrueType bytecode interpreter because the text is much higher
quality than under an otherwise identical build with the
TT_CONFIG_OPTION_BYTECODE_INTERPRETER macro undefined which I
played with earlier.

But I'm getting a lot of stems that are not grid-fitted, which
grid-fitting is to my understanding one of the key features of
proper TrueType rendering. Please see
<http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~dcc/tmp/hello.gif> for an example of
side-by-side text, the left from Windows 95 with Plus!
font-smoothing (5-value anti-aliasing), and the right from
gd-1.8.4 linked against my FreeType build, which is nice for
having 9 values, but whose stems are awful. Both renderings used
the selfsame TTF file. The font I used is in the same directory on
the off-chance that anybody feels their trying to duplicate this
would be helpful; although I also tried a number of other fonts
from other sources with no more success in the area of stems.

My basic question is: Is there something else I need to do to
enable grid-fitting under the TrueType bytecode interpreter?

Thank you much for your time,
Christian Campbell

14028101 Broward Hall                                address@hidden
Gainesville, FL  32612-1401                         (352) 846-8461