[Freetype] Saving RAM memory - using the raster pool and more

From: Nir Rostoker
Subject: [Freetype] Saving RAM memory - using the raster pool and more
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 18:18:13 +0200

Hi !
As I understand the raster_pool need minimum of 4k memory .....

I have a few questions regarding it:

1. if I use less than 4k, will it influence severely the performance ? how
does 4k as a limit was decided ?

2. I start thinking of using the memory which was allocated for the pool as
my target bitmap, I tried doing it, but I get all the
    time exceptions. Do you know if on the stage I need the bitmap, the
render pool is still used ? Does anyone tried it ?

3. Last question: I have noticed that the difference in RAM needed by the
Load_Glyph() function changes dramatically
   when using different font file (*.ttf), even though the stream was
already allocated before (which is the main memory
   part that depends on a specific font file).
   Does anyone know what big allocations the Load_Glyph()  function does ?
Can I prevent some of it ?

Regards,
Nir - Emblaze Research