Re: [Freetype] How to install on linux?

From: Vadim Plessky
Subject: Re: [Freetype] How to install on linux?
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 19:05:31 +0000

On Wednesday 21 November 2001 22:38, address@hidden wrote:
|   Hello, for freetype 2, would this be a good way to install:
|
|   After I untar, I rename directory to freetype 2
|   move them
|   then
|   ./configure
|   make
|   make install
|
|   would this work on linux? The documentation wasn't clear on the website
|   and nobody can give a straight answer. I need freetype to get GD library
|   working, so I simply want to confirm. If not, what is missing?

Hi,

As I don't see any replies on your question, I wil try to answer.
I gueess, you are speaking about this [gd1] library?
(I am running Linux-Mandrake 8.0, with some updates)
address@hidden vadim]$ rpm -qa | grep gd1
libgd1-devel-1.8.4-3mdk
libgd1-1.8.4-3mdk

address@hidden vadim]$ rpm -q --requires libgd1-1.8.4-3mdk | grep freetype
libfreetype.so.6

FreeType (in LM 8.0) provided by those RPMs:
address@hidden vadim]$ rpm -qa | grep freetype2
freetype2-devel-2.0.3-1mdk
freetype2-2.0.3-1mdk

You can grab them from the latest stable version of your distribution, or (in
case for LM) - from Cooker, latest development version.
It's up to you wether to download binary RPMs (i586) or SourceRPMs (SRPM)
In fact, it's pretty easy to compile SRPM for FreeType, and it doesn't take
too much time.
Run
#rpm --rebuild freetype2-2.0.5-1mdk.src.rpm
and you will get finally 2 binary RPMs, freetype2 and freetype2-devel.

Than you just use
#rpm -Uvh freetype2*
to install binary RPMs, and after it FreeType is ready to use!
Hope this helps.

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)