[Freetype] Layout stuff (was Re: PANOSE, and other ways to map fonts)

From: Leonard Rosenthol
Subject: [Freetype] Layout stuff (was Re: PANOSE, and other ways to map fonts)
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 11:50:58 -0500

At 07:13 PM 11/16/2001 +0000, Vadim Plessky wrote:
IMO PostScript is not right solution here - as it's even more bloated.
  SVG (inspired by Adobe and Kodak)?  not sure as well ;-))

PostScript, PDF and SVG are all the wrong approaches since they are "fixed layout" architectures, as opposed to a CSS3 (HTML/XML/XSL) approach were reflow and such are present.

Of course, once you laid out the elements on a "page", conversion to PS/PDF/SVG would be easy and logical.

Oh, and SVG started out as a way to combine Adobe's PGML and Microsoft's VML into a single W3C standard. It has evolved GREATLY since then.

I mean, some parts of SVG are really nice (and SVG-based Icons are floating
around me  :-),

Who uses SVG-based icons? I know that Nautilus CAN use them, but that most of those in normal usage are not.

in the mean time, I found some articles that Microsoft was not willing to
release even IE6 separatly from WinXP.

        That is not true!  I can install IE6 on my Win2K box just fine...

LDR