Re: [Freetype] questions about FT_Encoding again with new emailaddress

From: Brian Stell
Subject: Re: [Freetype] questions about FT_Encoding again with new emailaddress
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 23:43:40 -0700

Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> > 1. I don't know how to split characters from the string by different
>      encodings. As you know there are 13 encoding types in the
>      FT_Encoding Union. Where can I find the documents for splitting
>      strings by encoding?

Getting a character from a multi-byte encoded string (knowing the
character boundries) is definitely not an issue that should be
addressed by FreeType. This is a standard i18n issue.

> > 3.I have heard that charset and encoding are different concept. But
>     it seems that encoding decide the charset(==charmap?) in
>     Freetype2.0 .

No, a charset is the characters (Latin) or words (Kanji) in a
defined group such as the English alphabet or JISX0808. The
encoding defines the numbers used to map these chars/words. The
English alphabet may be encoded in ASCII or EBCDIC but it is still
the English alphabet. JISX0208 may be encoded in Shift-Jis,
EUC-JP, ISO2022-JP, or Unicode but it is still the same (~6000)
kanji.

> FreeType's term `encoding' simply means a name tag for an `FT_CharMap'
> object.  So this is neither a `character encoding' nor a `character
> set'.

The cmap is used to map an encoding's value for a character to the
appropiate glyph.

Brian Stell