[Freetype] help with openGL (bitmap vs filled polygons)

From: Wallace Chigona
Subject: [Freetype] help with openGL (bitmap vs filled polygons)
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 18:09:49 +0200

Hi guys,
I am rendering Freetype fonts using openGL and I am trying different
libraries(including some bits which I am developing myself).

I am mainly interested in rendering the characters as Bitmaps (for high
quality), "filled-polygons" (for speed, I am storing them as display
lists).   Initally I render the characters using "filled-polygons",i.e I
am changing the character a lot (i.e rotating etc) and once I get the
final picture, I want to replace the "filled polygon" characters with
the high quality bitmap characters.  In which case, the size of the
respective "filled-polygon" character must be equal to the size of their
bitmaped counterparts.

With Bitmaps, all I need is to specify the character size, i.e
FT_Set_Char_size and I get a character which I want. However, with
"Filled-polygons" (or outlines) I have to use scaling (glScalef).   My
question then is, how canI make sure the sizes of the two are equal?

Am I making myself clear?
--
---{ Wallace Chigona address@hidden }---
Institut fuer Simulation und Graphic, Uni. Magdeburg