[Freetype] Freetype fonts not drawn as well as Windows...

From: Pedriana, Paul
Subject: [Freetype] Freetype fonts not drawn as well as Windows...
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 16:41:04 -0700

Previously I had stated that FreeType 2.04 wasn't drawing
some fonts properly, that sometimes pixels that shouldn't
be drawn are being drawn. But the email didn't go through
right. I have posted a few of the TrueType renderings to
my web server, so people can see them more easily:

http://ppedriana.homeip.net/Misc/Arial7HintAA.gif

http://ppedriana.homeip.net/Misc/Arial13HintNoAA.gif

http://ppedriana.homeip.net/Misc/Arial12NoHintNoAA.gif

It happens with some other fonts but with similar results.
Pixels that should not be drawn in monochrome are being
drawn, and pixels that should be light in anti-aliased mode
are too dark. Windows does not have these problems.
I can post more pictures from other fonts and characters
if anybody would like. Some other examples I've seen are
more obvious than the ones above, but it would take me
a little longer to re-find them.

Paul