[Freetype] Strange behavior

From: henry . maddocks
Subject: [Freetype] Strange behavior
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 12:12:24 +1200

I ve got an issue with char size in my freetype to opengl library that is unrelated to freetype but when trying to resolve it, it has highlited some unusual behavior.

Size in openGL is a bit of an abstract concept. For polygons and outlines, what's too small for one may be too big for another.

Initially I tried using the point size to scale the glyphs. This was fine until I tried very small sizes eg. 2 point. At first the glyph outline was a real mess which it turned out to be the grid fitting (fair enough) so I change the FT_Load_Glyph function to use non hinted mode (FT_LOAD_NO_HINTING | FT_LOAD_NO_BITMAP).

This fixed the glyphs but broke the kerning. The glyphs overlapped or even advanced backwards. I changed the kerning mode to be ft_kerning_unfitted but that hasn't helped.

This isn't going to effect my lib because I've decided scale is a client issue but someone is likely to try and use small point sizes and it will look like a bug in my lib.

Is this a bug in freetype or should I be loading/ kerning the glyphs differently?

Henry

"I can run faster scared than you can angry"