Re: [Freetype] Re: [Render] Arial ttf - bad rendering of some glyphs

From: Vadim Plessky
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Re: [Render] Arial ttf - bad rendering of some glyphs
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 05:04:45 +0000

Hi Antoine!

On Tuesday 31 July 2001 17:47, Antoine Leca wrote:
|   Hi Vadim,
|
|   Sorry to answer so late, I was on vacation; and I think my answer may
|   help some other people reading here.

Yes, for sure :-)

|   Vadim Plessky wrote:
|   > Well, I am very much keen to improve fonts and do manual hinting for
|   > them. Unfortunately, I am not aware of any tool which allows TT
|   > hinting, but I have good progress with hinting of Type1 fonts.
|
|   If you can admit working on a Windows box, then give a look at Visual
|   TrueType.
|   <URL:http://www.microsoft.com/typography/tools/vtt.htm>
|   The tool is free as far as I can see (at least for casual users like me
| and as I understand you), the support seems good to me (direct contact with
| the engineer developping the product :-), like with Freetype ;-))

Thanks for the link, I will check it.
Didn't know that MS still makes some programs available for free (not
counting MS IE)

|   Of course, the process is waaaaay more complex than it is with Type1,
|   obviously,
|   but I feel you can obtain fairly good results (assuming the outlines are
|   good)
|   without having to refer to impossible tools like RoyalT (which is the
|   original
|   one, i.e. you program directly in TrueType "bytecodes"! Funny to test
| once, but
|   not productive at all).

Where I can find info on this RoyalT?

|   The bad news is that it seems impossible to escape the patents, since the
|   projection vectors are used everywhere in the subroutines used by VTT.

Yes, and I am waiting now David Turner will return back from his vacation and
implement native hints support for PS Type1 fonts. :-)
I think it will make Type1 fonts a good alternative to TrueType.
And it can change people's perception that "TT fonts have better quality"

|   Hope it helps,
|
|   Antoine

Thanks a lot for your mail!
--