[Freetype] Re: Arial ttf - bad rendering of some glyphs

From: Vadim Plessky
Subject: [Freetype] Re: Arial ttf - bad rendering of some glyphs
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 10:46:39 +0000

On Thursday 12 July 2001 19:10, Pedriana, Paul wrote:
|      >>Windows disables font smoothing <14pt, so it's
|      >>hard to compare FreeType with AA and Windows's
|      >>TT rasterizer generating Black&White pixmaps.
|
|   I don't think it is doing this exactly so on my machine. Here is a
| picture of Windows' Wordpad on my Windows 2000 machine with the letter 'z'
| drawn in Times Roman normal, bold, italic, and bold-italic at successive
| integral point sizes from 5-26.
|

|   The 5 and 6 point sizes are being anti-aliased, 7-13 are not, and 14+
| are. When antialiasing is turned off, none of the letters are anti-aliased.

yes, that's was the point highlighted by David Turner.

I *enabled* Anti-Aliasing for point sizes 7-13 on my Linux (KDE/QT) box.
Screenshot I posted was made in KDE, using KWord word processor from KOffice
suite.
Some *blurring* (or *dirty*) inside several letters was caused by this.
//  so, I was *guilty* in producing this effect
*Disabling* AA for point sizes 7-13  (like it was before) , of course, fixed
this blurring.

It's not applicable to compare Windows (either 98 or 2000) and KDE / XFree86
at all, as I don't know any way to enable AA for 7pt-13pt in Windows.

Rendering output *without AA* is appx. the same on Windows and KDE.

But, I think there is a way to fix these letters with AA enabled, than there
will be no reason to disable AA at all :-))

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)