Re: [Freetype] Looking for fonts to use with Freetype in a commer cial a

From: Anthony Fok
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Looking for fonts to use with Freetype in a commer cial applicatio n
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 02:04:58 -0600

On Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 03:51:45PM -0700, Gaiser, Jason wrote:
> Sorry to Spam the list again...
>
> I guess I should have mentioned that I'm looking for "core" fonts, not the
> silly wingding style fonts that are all over the net.
>
> Basically something similar to courier and times new roman.

Yeah, well, the free Chinese and Korean fonts that Werner mentioned are
definitely not your run-of-the-mill wingding style fonts!  The 4 sets of
free Chinese TrueType fonts were generously donated by Arphic Technologies.
They are Kai and Ming/Song fonts in Big5 and GB encoding, very much like
similar fonts which Arphic sell in their commercial font products.
If you do use these Arphic Public License fonts, be sure to drop a note
to  http://www.arphic.com.tw/  to thank them.

As for things like Courier and Times, look in the URW PostScript Type 1
fonts that are included in GhostScript.  Ask someone in Wind River about
BSDi, FreeBSD and Slackware, as GhostScript and its fonts are included
in those BSD* or GNU/Linux distributions.  I think the Bitstream Charter
font is included in X11 or XFree86 too.

And yes, I am proud of the GNU GPL.  :-)

If you need to use TrueType instead of Type 1, one source would be the
Microsoft Typography group:  http://www.microsoft.com/typography/
Anyone can download their "core" fonts for personal use.  I don't know
about their licensing if you want to use them in a commercial products.
Oh wait, actually you probably should contact Monotype instead:
(Monotype owns the Courier and Times News Roman TrueType fonts?)

    Fonts

    Microsoft develops some fonts in-house and licenses others from
    independent font vendors.  If you are looking to license a particular
    font, you should contact the vendor, not Microsoft, regarding licensing
    issues. The vendor is listed in the font's copyright or trademark entry,
    which you can examine by downloading and using our free 'Font properties
    extension'.  Once you have installed the extension you can 'right click'
    on any TrueType font to examine its properties.

    The following fonts are wholly owned by Microsoft and are not available
    to license for redistribution, 'Verdana', 'Georgia', 'Comic Sans MS',
    'MS Sans Serif', 'Tahoma', 'Wingdings', 'Webdings' and 'Trebuchet MS'.
    For more information regarding fonts, and links to font vendors, please
    visit the Microsoft Typography Web site at
    http://www.microsoft.com/typography/.

Hope this helps.

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling                Civil and Environmental Engineering
address@hidden, address@hidden    University of Alberta, Canada