Re: [Freetype] gd-1.8.4 and freetype-2.0.1

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Freetype] gd-1.8.4 and freetype-2.0.1
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 00:10:02 +0100

Hi Lewis,

> > it seems you didn't compile FreeType 2 correctly.. How exactly did you
> > compile
> > it (i.e. "make setup", "make", "make install" should be enough on
> > Unix..)
> I tried that but it kept coming up as a ASCII compiler and mine is gcc
> (RH6.2).

I suppose you mean "ansi" instead of ASCII :-)
I'm surprised that a unix system isn't detected automatically on RedHat
Linux.. that seems very strange..

You can use the "ansi" system by default to compile FreeType 2 as
a static library, but it will not be able to do the following on
Unix systems:

  - create DLL (i.e. shared objects) through libtool
  - install everything in "/usr/local/..."

> The instructions said if the compiler type wasn't correct then edit the make
> file or some such. I saw the unix build dir and ran the makefile there and it
> correctly identified everything and ran correctly. So I then copied that to
> the
> main dir and ran it from there. I am now guessing this is my big problem. I
> guess I should have just ignored the fact that the compiler type was wrong and
> let it build on the ASCII type? The weird thing about this is that doing it
> this way runs freetype (and all it's example programs) flawlessly.

You should _not_ copy the Makefile from "builds/unix" into the top
directory..

Please download FreeType 2.0.2.test (or a current snapshot) and
try to compile it normally. I sincerely hope this will solve your
problem.

Otherwise, try the following:

  cd freetype2/builds/unix
  ./configure  [+ the usual options you need]
  cp unix.mk ../config.mk
  cd ..
  make modules    [this recreates include/freetype/config/ftmodule.h]
  make
  make install

Note that in 2.0.2, you can do something more simple if your
system isn't correctly detected:

  cd freetype2
  make setup unix
  make
  make install

If this really doesn't work, there is something fishy with
your package..

Regards,

- David