Re: ansi x3.64 specification

From: Leonard Rosenthol
Subject: Re: ansi x3.64 specification
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2000 10:22:10 -0800

At 1:08 AM -0800 11/5/00, address@hidden wrote:
hi there. i'm writing this mail from a terminal written for ggi which
uses freetype2 (i'm seeing everything in cmtt10!).

        Cool!

there are a few
problems with the terminal emulation, however. my plan is to make it
ansi x3.64 compatible --- the problem is that i don't have a precise
specification...

It's been a LONG time since I wrote terminal emulators (mid-late 80's), but if I recall correctly ANSI x3.64 was the bastardized subset of VT100 that Microsoft introduced with DOS for screen drawing. As such, there are very few commands that you need to add - mostly for things like setting colors.

I don't have the details handy (as I'm sitting in a hotel room in San Diego), but I'll try to remember to look it up in my old manuals when I get back home.

all i have is a vt100 specification, which doesn't
have some commands (such as DCH), and doesn't specify some stuff
precisely.

Then you don't have a good version of the VT100 spec. The original one from DEC had all the gory details of what to do, and how to behave. It also helped (as I did at the time) to have a REAL terminal around to compare responses to certain commands. There also used to be a place on the net that had a "VT100 tester" application that would run all sorts of great tests to push all the features - but I don't recall what it was.

i also need very
precise specifications of what to do when things like LF or CR are
received. for example, do i clear the rest of the line or not on LF?
(may seem stupid, but it seems that some programs assume that the line
will be cleared)

Depends on what mode the terminal is in, IIRC. There was a mode setting on the VT1xx series that allowed you to change how line feeds vs. CR was handled. The default, however, is that a CR moves the cursor down one line, the LF moves the cursor to the beginning of the line. There is NO clearing involved! If they want clearing, they should send one of the clear sequences.

Leonard
Leonard Rosenthol                       <mailto:address@hidden>
Sr. Software Engineer                   (215) 922-3509 (voice)
Digital Applications                    (215) 440-0504 (fax)

PGP Fingerprint: 8CC9 8878 921E C627 0BC1  15BB FC19 64A9 0016 1397