Merging TTF files?

From: Terry Hancock
Subject: Merging TTF files?
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 21:21:28 -0700

Hi,
I've started using Yudit, which is nice Unicode editor,
and I've run across the problem of adequate font coverage.

It seems there are a lot of TrueType fonts in the world,
but very few which are reasonably complete (or at least
have the glyphs I wanted).  An obviously desireable
solution would be to find all the appropriate fonts and
use them together -- i.e. look up a "Zapf Dingbats" and
a "Math Operators" font and combine them with the
"Cyberbit" or other large Unicode font.  Then I could
have both the specialized math and graphics characters
and the Far East characters to work with at once.

Since Yudit uses FreeType as the font server I assume
that any limitations it has in this regard are probably
inherent in FreeType (which is why I'm writing here).

So, could one:

1) Load more than one TrueType font at a time -- i.e.
overload them successively, leaving unassigned characters
as they were?

2) Create a TrueType font merge utility (using the
FreeType library) to compose the fonts beforehand?

Also, it might be necessary to modify the code mappings,
since a lot of TrueType fonts available on the web (Dingbats,
for example) are not properly mapped for Unicode use).

I also wrote the author of Yudit, of course, but I
suspect this is determined by FreeType.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

--